My friend is the one who's battling with this question. She is a smart girl with great potential. But for the last few months, her performance academically has been in the downfall. She couldn't do her works properly which everyone started noticing. She's from a middle class family as ourselves, but when asked, her answer was that when she goes home, her mother asks her to do most of the chores and since she's the 1st child, when she goes home for study leave she has to take care of her siblings as well.

Actually, my point was the semester and study time is something that would not come back again. Every exam, every assignment has the potential to make us great or push us into the pit. So I asked her to concentrate on her studies more and explain her mother of the situation. But she's hesitant. Everyone's 1st priority is their family. But Education would not be useful if we're not making use of it at present. After she goes to a good stage, she can take care of her mother as much as she likes. But now studies is important than anything else, in my opinion.

What do you think? Am I right in advising her that way?