Try our "Help Me AI"
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do You Guys Feel Like Language Is A barrier When Facing Interviews?

Status
    Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivani View Post
    Guys!

Most of you guys might have gone through interviews and might have definitely experienced it. In Sri lanka the basic must languages are Sinhala, Tamil & English.
    But when it comes for a job mainly if it's a government job the basic requirement in language is always Sinhala, English & Tamil.

In my own experience during my first interview I didn't know sinhala nor English, as I entered my boss's room I was totally scared even to ask '' Excuse me''
    She talked to me in English and I just understood a little and couldn't continue further, then she spoke in sinhala which I didn't understand either I started crying and answered her with the very little English i knew.
    In the end she advised me not to cry and fear since this was my first attempt. This was my first experience with an interview without knowing sinhala!

Do you guys really think that language is a barrier in Sri lanka when attending an interview? Since all the interviews are faced in English! Share us your opinion
    Language is a base requirement, because it is the tool we use to communicate effectively. The language you should be competent depends on the role/job you are applying for. In my personal experience I have failed in interview due to lack of competency in English as the job requires English. Some job role requires other language requirement especially in tourism sector. No need to worry about language as you're always competent in your mother tongue. you can always learn. there are always opportunities. Stay strong! be confident! keep learning!

Status
    Blog Entries
    I don't think so shivani, because we all are fluent in our native language and more than that you can be able to at least manage English, In interviews they want the answers and your confidence rather than language. They always check with the knowledge and confidence. In my personal experience i went for both Tamil and Sinhalese people as my interviewer. In both situation i felt the language isn't a barrier for me. If you have confidence you can be answer whatever way the interviewer can understandable.

Status
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I don't think so shivani, because we all are fluent in our native language and more than that you can be able to at least manage English, In interviews they want the answers and your confidence rather than language. They always check with the knowledge and confidence. In my personal experience i went for both Tamil and Sinhalese people as my interviewer. In both situation i felt the language isn't a barrier for me. If you have confidence you can be answer whatever way the interviewer can understandable.
    True Medusa, More than language our knowledge and confidence is more important. And I agree with you that most of the interviewers check our knowledge rather than our language.
    You're not going to master the rest of your life in one day. Don't stress. Master the day. Make this a daily reminder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12