Try our "Help Me AI"

Thread: How can we fix 404 errors in Google Search Console?

Status
    Administrator
    Blog Entries

How can we fix 404 errors in Google Search Console?

When a user clicks through a particular link, generally they are expecting that the link will lead them to the information they are looking for. So, when they encounter with a 404 page not found error automatically they become annoyed and it makes them to rethink their decision on spending their time on your website, thus it's really important to fix 404 errors on your website. I heard that Google Search Console is one of the effective tools to fix 404 errors. Can someone give me brief explanation on how to fix 404 errors in Google Search Console?
    You're not going to master the rest of your life in one day. Don't stress. Master the day. Make this a daily reminder.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhavya View Post
    When a user clicks through a particular link, generally they are expecting that the link will lead them to the information they are looking for. So, when they encounter with a 404 page not found error automatically they become annoyed and it makes them to rethink their decision on spending their time on your website, thus it's really important to fix 404 errors on your website. I heard that Google Search Console is one of the effective tools to fix 404 errors. Can someone give me brief explanation on how to fix 404 errors in Google Search Console?
    Hey Bhavya,

Actually, you misunderstood about the Google search console. This is the platform to communicate with you and search engine. it's provided by Google and free of charge for webmasters, from here you can check indexing status and optimize visibility for your websites. In nutshell, it can make your site shine in Google Search results. you can't fix the 404 errors through GSC but you get a report from there, it called as a "indexing coverage issues" not only the 404 errors, if there any sources blocked from robots.txt or 500 errors or any schema related errors also come on that area. There are two main reasons to happening to the crawl errors, let me talk this later, Now, I will explain you how to fix the 404 errors for your website:

GSC is one of the
    easiest way to find 404 errors not to fix the errors.

If you have deleted any pages from your site or changed any URL path, you will see the 404 errors, while crawling the Googlebot, unable to access a specific URL not your overall site. that's why GSC is giving you a report what are the 404 pages you are having and remind us to fix them. you have to find out the errors from GSC and fix it from your website/server, once you fixed the error, you can validate and re-index the page via GSC.

Hope you can understand it clearly, if you need any further details, please ask me!

Status
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katren View Post
    Hey Bhavya,

Actually, you misunderstood about the Google search console. This is the platform to communicate with you and search engine. it's provided by Google and free of charge for webmasters, from here you can check indexing status and optimize visibility for your websites. In nutshell, it can make your site shine in Google Search results. you can't fix the 404 errors through GSC but you get a report from there, it called as a "indexing coverage issues" not only the 404 errors, if there any sources blocked from robots.txt or 500 errors or any schema related errors also come on that area. There are two main reasons to happening to the crawl errors, let me talk this later, Now, I will explain you how to fix the 404 errors for your website:

GSC is one of the
    easiest way to find 404 errors not to fix the errors.

If you have deleted any pages from your site or changed any URL path, you will see the 404 errors, while crawling the Googlebot, unable to access a specific URL not your overall site. that's why GSC is giving you a report what are the 404 pages you are having and remind us to fix them. you have to find out the errors from GSC and fix it from your website/server, once you fixed the error, you can validate and re-index the page via GSC.

Hope you can understand it clearly, if you need any further details, please ask me!
    Thank you so much for this explanation Katren, Now I am clear about it. can you tell me what is 500 errors?
    You're not going to master the rest of your life in one day. Don't stress. Master the day. Make this a daily reminder.