Try our "Help Me AI"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are memes paving path to extremism or online harassment?

Status
    Reputed Member

Lightbulb Are memes paving path to extremism or online harassment?

There is an old quote "pen is mightier than sword" but I think it should be changed as "meme is mightier than sword" to be apt to the current trend. Memes are photos of people or a scene from a film with text added on them. Nowadays the memes are the easiest and fastest way to spread a news.It may be a social awareness thing or an entertainment based thing,people feel it easy to get the information and it takes only a few seconds to share it!.

But the worst part is that people keep spreading news through memes just because they're viral without even knowing whether it's a true news or not.It also plays a major role in spreading extremism.They even trigger the emotions and beliefs of people and some times creates unwanted problems.

Some memes steps into another level by changing the concept from trolling to harassing and finally everyone ends up having awkward moments.In my view social harassment through memes have increased a lot, where people have started to create memes only to expose their anger on a particular person or a group.

What's your opinion about the memes? Do they promote online harassment and extremism?
    Do what is RIGHT, NOT what is EASY!

Status
    Reputed Member
    Yes . Memes are too effective. But any other medium it do consists of both negative and positive sides. It is a way to show out creativity. But the meme creator should be aware that it should not spread any negativity.

Status
    Reputed Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheero View Post
    What's your opinion about the memes? Do they promote online harassment and extremism?
    Really I amused about the creativity of some meme generaters around me. It makes me laughed so many times but only few make me think. Also I have seen memes with social contant didn't reach well like the other. It's one of the trending medium now and it has pros and cons too.

Meme lovers can browse the encyclopedia of memes created on 2008 which is known as knowyourmeme.

Status
    Administrator
    Blog Entries
    In My point of view Memes are widely used for entertainment rather than social awareness. It's has it's own pros and cons as well.
    It's in our hands to use it in a correct way.
    You're not going to master the rest of your life in one day. Don't stress. Master the day. Make this a daily reminder.

Status
    Reputed Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karikaalan View Post
    Yes . Memes are too effective. But any other medium it do consists of both negative and positive sides. It is a way to show out creativity. But the meme creator should be aware that it should not spread any negativity.
    Yes, but the internet is stuffed with a large number of meme creators, most of them just try to attract the society without caring about the negative impact! In my view it also depends on the society, if the public gets attracted only towards the good set of memes the bad memes will automatically reduced.

Status
    Reputed Member
    Quote Originally Posted by assassin View Post
    Really I amused about the creativity of some meme generaters around me. It makes me laughed so many times but only few make me think. Also I have seen memes with social contant didn't reach well like the other. It's one of the trending medium now and it has pros and cons too.

Meme lovers can browse the encyclopedia of memes created on 2008 which is known as knowyourmeme.
    Thank you assassin for sharing about the encyclopedia.I didn't know it before.

Status
    Reputed Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhavya View Post
    In My point of view Memes are widely used for entertainment rather than social awareness. It's has it's own pros and cons as well.
    It's in our hands to use it in a correct way.
    Well said Bhavya. Yes memes are mostly used for entertainment and that too has 2 sides, the good and the bad way of promotions.

Status
    Reputed Member
    There is an old quote "pen is mightier than sword" but I think it should be changed as "meme is mightier than sword" to be apt to the current trend. Memes are photos of people or a scene from a film with text added on them. Nowadays the memes are the easiest and fastest way to spread a news.It may be a social awareness thing or an entertainment based thing,people feel it easy to get the information and it takes only a few seconds to share it!.

But the worst part is that people keep spreading news through memes just because they're viral without even knowing whether it's a true news or not.It also plays a major role in spreading extremism.They even trigger the emotions and beliefs of people and some times creates unwanted problems.

Some memes steps into another level by changing the concept from trolling to harassing and finally everyone ends up having awkward moments.In my view social harassment through memes have increased a lot, where people have started to create memes only to expose their anger on a particular person or a group.

As long as it doesn't criticize someone in an immoral way, the creativity of memes is fine.
    I've seen memes which criticize a person's appearance and disability. If we choose to avoid them, then memes lead the way to journalism. They speak millions of words just with an image. They provoke thoughts(good and bad), and the creativity is damn good sometimes.

Status
    Reputed Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shana View Post
    As long as it doesn't criticize someone in an immoral way, the creativity of memes is fine.
    I've seen memes which criticize a person's appearance and disability. If we choose to avoid them, then memes lead the way to journalism. They speak millions of words just with an image. They provoke thoughts(good and bad), and the creativity is damn good sometimes.
    In my view it's the public who promote those immoral memes.If no one is interested in such memes eventually the meme creators will stop creating them.The change should start from each and every individual.

Status
    Reputed Member
    Thank you assassin for sharing about the encyclopedia.I didn't know it before.
    You're thread shows that you're get more into memes, that's why I let you know about it. Hope it's useful to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast