Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Why gender equality is an issue?

  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    Neo's Avatar
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Colombo
    Age
    30
    Posts
    84
       Rep Power
    15

    Exclamation Why gender equality is an issue?

    There are lot of myths in the society regarding gender equality and it is a continuous issue as well.

    What do you consider as gender equality? What is your opinion in terms of gender equality? Why is it an issue? What should be done to solve this issue?

    Share, if you have faced any gender inequality incidents.

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    Karikaalan's Avatar
    Reputed Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Vavuniya
    Posts
    340
       Rep Power
    15
    both gender should speak out loudly about there own problems. Discussions will always bring solutions

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    Shana's Avatar
    Reputed Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    757
       Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    There are lot of myths in the society regarding gender equality and it is a continuous issue as well.

    What do you consider as gender equality? What is your opinion in terms of gender equality? Why is it an issue? What should be done to solve this issue?

    Share, if you have faced any gender inequality incidents.
    Well, the gender inequality starts from our own families itself. When I got better results than my brother in my first shy ALs and where it was his 2nd, he was sent to a private Engineering university and I wasn't even asked about my opinion on this. When I questioned, I was told by my aunt that It's useless to invest in girls, but boys will have to lead a family, so they chose to send him to private.

    I don't want to be in a private university. but it would have hurt less had I been considered in the option. But I was never.Because I'm a girl.

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    Dhiya's Avatar
    Reputed Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Jaffna, Belihuloya
    Posts
    291
       Rep Power
    15
    Beacuse women are repressed by men. That's why there are so many queries about gender equation. There is no problem with the women. Men didn't give freedom for the women. I have a question for you. Most probably mothers are cooking in our homes. Why shouldn't fathers? Are they doing as equal? These are the some basic issues for inequality. Yes, I faced lot more. There is one for you guys. Can we go out in night? but, Our brothers can do. Is this equality for men and women?
    Diligence is a mother of Good luck

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    Neo's Avatar
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Colombo
    Age
    30
    Posts
    84
       Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Shana View Post
    Well, the gender inequality starts from our own families itself. When I got better results than my brother in my first shy ALs and where it was his 2nd, he was sent to a private Engineering university and I wasn't even asked about my opinion on this. When I questioned, I was told by my aunt that It's useless to invest in girls, but boys will have to lead a family, so they chose to send him to private.

    I don't want to be in a private university. but it would have hurt less had I been considered in the option. But I was never.Because I'm a girl.
    Woohh! That's offensive. Why do they think women can't achieve or lead? How come it becomes useless to invest on women's education? I really don't understand and I totally agree with your point that it should start from our family itself.

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    Neo's Avatar
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Colombo
    Age
    30
    Posts
    84
       Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhiya View Post
    Beacuse women are repressed by men. That's why there are so many queries about gender equation. There is no problem with the women. Men didn't give freedom for the women. I have a question for you. Most probably mothers are cooking in our homes. Why shouldn't fathers? Are they doing as equal? These are the some basic issues for inequality. Yes, I faced lot more. There is one for you guys. Can we go out in night? but, Our brothers can do. Is this equality for men and women?
    I disagree with you point here! Why should men give you freedom? It is already yours. Why are you seeking permission for that from men. I agree that some unacceptable practices followed for long time. When in relationship or your father, brother or any men closed to you will try to restrict you from doing certain things like you mentioned going out in the night time, there are lot of areas they see, most importantly your security, because there are lot of threat to women now. Likewise, you also should think of various dimension if there are any restrictions placed for you and I totally agree there are lot of unwanted restriction as well. I trust if relevant parties sit together and discuss appropriately, you can see some level of positive results.

    I trust this practice is changing gradually. I have seen many who support each other while cooking and doing other activities.

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    Moana's Avatar
    Reputed Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Vavuniya Srilanka
    Posts
    1,569
    Blog Entries
    5
       Rep Power
    16
    Yeah the fact is since our old age time girls are supposed to be at home cooking looking after their kids and husband! It is not so now since the economic growth has fallen men are sending their wives to work as well to support and run their family financially well,
    otherwise our culture is always like women should be at home after marriage yeah of course it is not safe these days for women to work but why is that so!

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    Shana's Avatar
    Reputed Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    757
       Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Woohh! That's offensive. Why do they think women can't achieve or lead? How come it becomes useless to invest on women's education? I really don't understand and I totally agree with your point that it should start from our family itself.
    I've no idea why everyone has this backward thought on women even in this century. We prove ourselves in everything, but the society loves to treat us as doormats.

  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    Neo's Avatar
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Colombo
    Age
    30
    Posts
    84
       Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Shana View Post
    I've no idea why everyone has this backward thought on women even in this century. We prove ourselves in everything, but the society loves to treat us as doormats.
    Let's change the society together. I believe this kind of practices are mostly available only in Asia, and middle east region. The thing is they just followed the practices followed by their ancestors. They failed to understand that women can do miracles. As you told, it should start from our family itself. So, let's educate, discuss peacefully with them to change this.

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    Ritika's Avatar
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    67
    Blog Entries
    1
       Rep Power
    15
    Gender equality is where men and women are treated equally when they are in same position in the society. The fact is men are physically stronger than women. Recently, Our batch was dissatisfied with the semester timetable, at that time a boy stated to the lecturer that it has to be woman who made this timetable. That comment made me uncomfortable and at the same time it was shocking. I really don't understand why most of the people think that women's capability is weak. Even on the road, I have heard unfair comments about women's driving. Those comments always rise a question within me. do men never ever faced/made any accidents/mistakes while driving? there are people come pass by girl rider and they say 'traffic police officers are standing on the corner' when there are many other people riding on the road, why they have to tell this only to the girls, not others? does it mean gender inequality? And also i believe the changes should begin at home. Women should support other women. The changes should begin when people create a mentality that every children should learn to do house chores and a girl can get married whenever she is willing to do it without others opinion. Because people always judge others. In that case they judge a girl more than a boy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to fix RankMath Canonical tags issue?
    By Bhavya in forum Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2022, 05:52 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-20-2018, 09:16 AM
  3. Do Entertainment industry have gender equality?
    By Bhavya in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2018, 09:44 AM
  4. Do you think Ageism become a big issue in our society?
    By Bhavya in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2018, 12:08 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2018, 10:04 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Who We Are

The Hub Sri Lanka is an online community portal for all the Sri Lankan digital Citizen's to enthusiastically learn and connect with the society by enormously increasing their knowledge and careers through an extensive collaborative marketplace.

Join us
RSS RSS 2.0 XML MAP HTML