Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Is social media an open door for predators??!

  1. #11
    Status
    Offline
    Bhavya's Avatar
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Vavuniya, Srilanka
    Posts
    7,682
    Blog Entries
    51
       Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivani View Post
    Parijat! You are right, school students should be council led and taught both theoretically and practically about these Fake ID problems. But I think that creating only awareness wouldn't really make a change. While counselling some would not even pay attention to it I have seen it in my own school. SELF DISCIPLINE?? Yes right point, if we start thinking about our own self respect and safety we would never fall into these temptations BUT it is our age (hormones) which tempts us unconsciously to fall into trouble I guess. So according to me it is us who have to be aware of such things and mostly our parents way of raising us!! They should raise us by sharing incidents that happened before because of social media from our childhood on wards however once we grow up nothing can stop as from falling into trouble EXCEPT OUR OWN MIND!
    Agree, If we do awareness seminar and long lectures for school students they will get bored. We have to do it in a interesting and motivational way. Yeah our age( hormones) is the problem that's why i said we should follow our self discipline and being self controlled. I accept that our parents should raise us, To face the daily challenges in our society.
    You're not going to master the rest of your life in one day. Don't stress. Master the day. Make this a daily reminder.

  2. #12
    Status
    Offline
    Shana's Avatar
    Reputed Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    757
       Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivani View Post
    Gobi, I totally agree with your point! But, WHAT IF THE VICTIM DIES?? SUICIDES?? WHO WOULD SPEAK ON BEHALF OF THEM?? Even if the government does or did I have never seen or heard that the government ever has given a satisfied decision for all the dead victims!
    For that, i don't have an answer. The victims should speak up, because that might give all the victims around the world to feel supported. Talking helps. These victims commit suicide, for the reason that people around the do not know about what they're going through or they choose not to understand their plight.

    We're past the point of asking justice from the government. We need to stand up for the victims. In social media we all see what happens...just a like and share. That is the maximum support we provide to these victims. Our actions should speak for ourselves, not our mouse clicks. We women have to learn to support other women. Most of the time, it's the ladies who slander other women. Bitter truth.

  3. #13
    Status
    Offline
    MDilbara's Avatar
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    43
       Rep Power
    0
    Okay. I just want to add few point which may help anyone being protective. I'll break it to TWO parts as Stalkers & Hackers.

    To be protective from Hackers, you may do the following:


    • Fist ever thing to do is enabling "Login Notification", which will let you know if someone else logged in (via Hacking)
    • As we do in Emails, check you activities, locations, devices, you logged-in. You can find any delicious activities there
    • Make sure to enable Login Approvals or Two-Factor Authentication
    • ​Don't use the same password everywhere on the web, done Tick the Remember Password option or Keep me logged-in option. And DO use a Password Manager
    • Keep your browser updated, and enable Secure Browsing
    • Dont ever click on untrusted URLs, see this post if need more information
    • Finally, Make sure you Log Out when you don't use the application


    To be protective from Stalkers, you may do the following:


    • First ever thing you could do is blocking stalkers without seeing you in Facebook. This can be done through Privacy settings of Facebook.
    • If you know a particular starker, block them through the Profile and Report them
    • Stop allowing people to search your name in FB, which may make the starkers search your profile. Again it's possible thorough Privacy Settings
    • Don't make every information public, which may give them clues about you and aid them in getting you
    • Don't allow friend requests from everyone, but restrict them
    • MORE THAN EVERY THING, use your HEAD, and be proactive, and be preventive.


    If you need more details, visit the following URL : Facebook Privacy Basics

  4. #14
    Status
    Offline
    Moana's Avatar
    Reputed Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Vavuniya Srilanka
    Posts
    1,569
    Blog Entries
    5
       Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhavya View Post
    Agree, If we do awareness seminar and long lectures for school students they will get bored. We have to do it in a interesting and motivational way. Yeah our age( hormones) is the problem that's why i said we should follow our self discipline and being self controlled. I accept that our parents should raise us, To face the daily challenges in our society.
    Maintaining a self discipline at only a certain period of time won't really bring a change. Don't you think so?
    Your Last Mistake Is Your Best Teacher

  5. #15
    Status
    Offline
    Moana's Avatar
    Reputed Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Vavuniya Srilanka
    Posts
    1,569
    Blog Entries
    5
       Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by MDilbara View Post
    Okay. I just want to add few point which may help anyone being protective. I'll break it to TWO parts as Stalkers & Hackers.

    To be protective from Hackers, you may do the following:


    • Fist ever thing to do is enabling "Login Notification", which will let you know if someone else logged in (via Hacking)
    • As we do in Emails, check you activities, locations, devices, you logged-in. You can find any delicious activities there
    • Make sure to enable Login Approvals or Two-Factor Authentication
    • ​Don't use the same password everywhere on the web, done Tick the Remember Password option or Keep me logged-in option. And DO use a Password Manager
    • Keep your browser updated, and enable Secure Browsing
    • Dont ever click on untrusted URLs, see this post if need more information
    • Finally, Make sure you Log Out when you don't use the application


    To be protective from Stalkers, you may do the following:


    • First ever thing you could do is blocking stalkers without seeing you in Facebook. This can be done through Privacy settings of Facebook.
    • If you know a particular starker, block them through the Profile and Report them
    • Stop allowing people to search your name in FB, which may make the starkers search your profile. Again it's possible thorough Privacy Settings
    • Don't make every information public, which may give them clues about you and aid them in getting you
    • Don't allow friend requests from everyone, but restrict them
    • MORE THAN EVERY THING, use your HEAD, and be proactive, and be preventive.


    If you need more details, visit the following URL : Facebook Privacy Basics
    These were really helpful , is hacking considered to be a capital punishment?
    Your Last Mistake Is Your Best Teacher

  6. #16
    Status
    Offline
    MDilbara's Avatar
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    43
       Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivani View Post
    These were really helpful , is hacking considered to be a capital punishment?

    What do you mean by "capital punishment?"
    If you can elaborate a bit, I would be able to answer

  7. #17
    Status
    Offline
    Moana's Avatar
    Reputed Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Vavuniya Srilanka
    Posts
    1,569
    Blog Entries
    5
       Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by MDilbara View Post
    What do you mean by "capital punishment?"
    If you can elaborate a bit, I would be able to answer
    Capital punishment in the sense ,once someone hacks the government's data's will the hacker be given a death sentence or a life time imprisonment something like that ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. What you like about Social Media?
    By Bhavya in forum Social Media
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2019, 11:07 AM
  2. Are we being consumed by Social Media?
    By Bhavya in forum Social Media
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-22-2019, 12:53 PM
  3. How is AI going to impact social media?
    By Bhavya in forum Artificial Inteligence
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2018, 01:30 PM
  4. SEO and its relationship with social media
    By Lorraine in forum Social Media
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2018, 12:00 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2018, 12:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Who We Are

The Hub Sri Lanka is an online community portal for all the Sri Lankan digital Citizen's to enthusiastically learn and connect with the society by enormously increasing their knowledge and careers through an extensive collaborative marketplace.

Join us
RSS RSS 2.0 XML MAP HTML